Best Bluetooth Speakers of 2017
Massive number of Bluetooth speakers is launched every year. Be obliged to technology, incredibly featured Bluetooth speakers pop up every day. Each is loaded with peculiar design, color, feature and performance that dethrone the previous one.
Bluetooth speakers let you stream music wirelessly from your tablet or phone unhooking you from the tangle of cords. For some Bluetooth speakers are a best choice.
If you are one of them and desperately want a great one for yourself, then hang on, we have listed some of the best Bluetooth speakers of 2017 that will taper your way down to the one that’s best for you.
UE Boom 2:
UE BOOM 2 Phantom Wireless Mobile Bluetooth Speaker (Waterproof and Shockproof)
18 used from $ 125.00
- Insanely good, loud 360degree sound with deep bass
- Portable design so you can bring the music anywhere
- Waterproof*, shockproof, designed for adventure (* IPX7 rated waterproof up to 30 minutes and a depth of one meter)
- 15hour battery life and 100 ft. Bluetooth wireless range (Actual battery life will vary with use, settings and environmental conditions. Rechargeable batteries have a limited number of charge cycles)
- Tap the speaker to play, pause or skip songs
The UE Boom has been a mainstay at the top of best Bluetooth speakers of 2017 manufacturers the past couple of years. The UE Boom 2 is very much similar to its predecessor in design but it does come with few small but important cosmetic changes. It has a tighter weave on the fabric cover which renders it more durable. And the flap covering the ports is better integrated into the unit. The flap has a groove in the top of the speakers making everything flush.
The model is featured with enhanced degree of waterproofing as it is fully waterproof as well as drop resistant to 5 feet or 1.5 meters. UE says if flap doesn’t even cover the USB charging port and audio input by mistake, there is nothing to worry about any shortage due to the invasion of water.
UE Boom 2 has a redesigned driver that enables this wireless speaker to not only to sound better than the previous one but also play 25% louder at its top volume. It still distorts at high volumes but you will love how loud it plays for its size. Some gesture controls are also added in this model. To pause the music, you can tap the top of the speaker and to skip the track, double-tap it. Another new feature is the ability to turn speaker on/off and update speaker’s firmware via UE’s new app. You can also wirelessly link UE Boom 2 with another UE speaker.
- Great Bluetooth range
- Loud and clear sound
- No playback controls besides tapping
- Some may consider it pricey
JBL Pulse 2:
JBL Pulse 2 Portable Splashproof Bluetooth Speaker (Silver)
2 used from $ 177.62
- Elevate your music experience to another dimension with the JBL Pulse 2 a portable Bluetooth speaker that offers sensational sound with an interactive light show
- Bring your music to life with glowing multi-colored visuals and transform wherever you are into a Party
- Take full Control of your Pulse 2 light show using JBL Prism color sensor lens. Just point and shoot the lens at the color you want and watch the Pulse 2 amplify the colors of life
- The splashproof design enables the Pulse 2 to light up any stage or show with high-quality stereo sound for up to 10 hours of playtime thanks to its built-in 6000Mah rechargeable li-ion battery
- Pulse 2 also features a noise and Echo cancelling speakerphone for Crystal clear calls
JBL Pulse 2 is one of the best compact portable Bluetooth speakers. It offers very good sound for its size and also offers a very cool interactive light show due to its built-in LED lights. It features a button that allows you to toggle through 12 different options for light show including, fireworks, rain and fire and by holding that button down, you can completely turn off LEDs. This wireless speaker also provides a companion app for iOS and android devices allowing you to perform firmware updates and to adjust light show remotely from your phone.
Additionally, a prism sensor is embedded in the speaker that detects hue of any colored subject held in front of it and change LEDs to that color. It’s kind of fun to play with. You can also download ambient sounds such as stars, rain, fire and waves via the app to enhance light themes and create some white noise. You can also wirelessly connect two of these wireless speakers together to boost the sound.
This Bluetooth speaker is pretty durable. Though not waterproof, it is splash proof. There is a gasket covering micro-USB charging port and audio input. It also includes built-in speakerphone that works very well.
- Compact and splashproof wireless Bluetooth speaker
- Delivers strong sound
- Integrated light show
- No carrying case available
Bose SoundTouch 10:
In the company’s line of DIY wireless multi-room audio system, it is the smallest and least expensive Wi-Fi speaker. You can connect this wireless speaker to your Wi-Fi network and via a free app you can control operation. The app is available for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and android devices. It also offers a small remote control mimicking the six preset buttons on the top of the speaker. You can also map these presets to playlists from various music sources including Deezer, Pandora and Spotify as well as Internet radio stations.
Bose SoundTouch 10 Wireless Music System - Black
1 used from $ 177.99
- The most compact Bose SoundTouch system fits anywhere in your home
- Works with your home Wi-Fi network and Bluetooth devices so you can play almost anything you can imagine.
- One-touch access to music services (Prime Music, Spotify, Pandora), internet radio and music library playlists with six personalized presets
- Powerful control with the SoundTouch app for your smartphone or tablet
- Part of an entire family of Bose wireless products
A Spotify music streaming service is integrated into its SoundTouch app. To stream music to a SounTouch system directly from the Spotify app you can also use Spotify Connect. You can wirelessly link speakers to play same music in separate rooms or different music in different rooms but linked speakers can’t work together as a true stereo pair, designating one as right and the other as left.
The speaker can stream music from your network and supports playback of AAC, WMA, MP3, FLAC and Apple Lossless. It features new Unidome transducer which is a 2.5 inch powerhouse capable of producing the highest excursion for any transducer of its size in Bose history. It is very strong in the midrange, great with acoustical material and vocals and surprisingly punchy bass.
- Convenience features like shortcut and Bluetooth buttons
- Impressive sound
- App is pleasant to use
- At high volumes, some genres of music can sound a little harsh
- No mute button
- No integrated battery for on the go use
JBL Charge 2+:
You can lay this wireless Bluetooth speaker down horizontally or stand it up vertically. You can charge it via Micro-USB. It has a built-in 6,000mAh battery for 12 hours playback. It also has the ability to juice up USB-powered portable devices like smartphones, tablets, and music players. The battery time dips accordingly if you use it as a backup battery.
JBL Charge 2+ Splashproof Portable Bluetooth Speaker (Black)
- USB charging port
- Passive radiators
- Splash proof
- Rechargeable battery
- Built-in battery
It features a built-in microphone which works fine as long as you stay within about 5-10 feet of the microphone. . Its social sharing mode enables multiple users to connect to the speaker with their devices and alternate playing tracks. You can easily pair your smartphone with the Bluetooth speaker and re-pairing is automatic when you turn speaker back on.
This wireless speaker is powered by two 7.5 watt drivers providing you a total of 15 watts. As compared to its previous version, it plays loud, tunes better and delivers cleaner sound with tighter bass. In this size and price class, it is no doubt among the best-sounding Bluetooth speakers of 2017.
- Water resistant
- Good battery life, also works as an external charger for your portable devices
- Built-in speakerphone
- Its ports are not sealed off while is it not waterproof
Bose SoundLink Mini II:
Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker II (Carbon)
12 used from $ 119.99
- Big sound--with deep bass--for a full-range listening experience
- Wireless and ultra-compact so you can take Bose sound anywhere
- Built-in speakerphone lets you take calls out loud
- Voice prompts talk you through Bluetooth pairing, so it's super easy
- Lithium-ion battery plays up to 10 hours on full charge
Look wise SoundLink mini II is one of the sharpest looking compact speakers out there. It is nearly identical to its predecessor in design. For speakerphone capabilities, it has a built-in microphone. Its 10-hour battery rating is another improvement. You can now charge it via standard USB cable. Acting as a dock, it also includes a charging cradle.
You can pair two devices to SoundLink Mini II at the same time. You can also switch back and forth between the devices, alternating audio streams. It is capable to remember up to eight devices. It streamlines the pairing process with new voice prompts and the speaker can identify your devices by name using text-to-speech.
It plays a lot bigger than it looks with relatively clean, natural sound and a decent amount of bass. It is a nice speaker for bedroom, kitchen and small rooms.
- Unibody aluminum enclosure (excellent build quality)
- Sounds great
- Charging cradle
- No real stereo separation
- Can’t pair two speakers together
UE MEGABOOM Electric Blue Wireless Mobile Bluetooth Speaker (Waterproof and Shockproof)
12 used from $ 179.95
- Freakishly amazing 360-degree sound with deep bass
- Waterproof (IPX7) grab n' go shape that is shockingly light-1.93 pounds
- 100 ft. Bluetooth wireless range, 20-hour rechargeable battery and ultra-fast micro USB charging ( Actual wireless range and battery life will vary with use, settings and environmental conditions)
- UE MEGABOOM app for additional features and control
- Gets better all the time through wireless, over-the-air speaker updates
New UE Megaboom is waterproof and can be fully submerged in water for several minutes without being damaged. The rubber gasket covering the USB and audio ports are better integrated into the unit and also easy enough to open. This wireless speaker comes with some other technical upgrades. It is now equipped with longer-range Bluetooth. You can stray up to 100 feet away from the speaker still streaming audio to it. It depends on the device you pair with it.
From free UE app, you can turn speaker on/off remotely as Megaboom employs Bluetooth Smart. The app also enables you to pair two speakers together or even a Megaboom with the original Boom. It provides equalization features for tweaking the sound along with an alarm function. It doesn’t support AptX streaming from devices that support it.
This new Bluetooth speaker offers more bass than the original Boom and plays louder with minimal distortion and good clarity.
- Impressive sound quality
- Excellent battery life and Upgraded Bluetooth range
- Some may consider it pricey
- No carrying case included
JBL Flip 3:
JBL Flip 3 Splashproof Portable Bluetooth Speaker, Black
11 used from $ 66.99
- Wireless Bluetooth streaming - wirelessly connect up to 3 smartphones or tablets to the speaker and take turns playing surprisingly powerful
- Speakerphone - take crystal clear calls from your speaker with the touch of a button thanks to the noise and echo cancelling speakerphone
- Splash proof - splash proof means no more worrying about rain or spills; you can even clean it with running tap water
- JBL connect - build your own ecosystem by connecting multiple JBL connect-enabled speakers together to amplify the listening experience
- JBL bass radiator - hear the bass, feel the bass, and see the bass
This third generation model has splashproof and more streamlined design and better battery life. Like its predecessors you can stand it up vertically as well as lay it down horizontally, but you get a little more base in horizontal mode as one of the bass ports gets covered up a bit when it is in vertical position. It is pretty durable and is water-resistant. It has a flap that covers its USB charging port and audio input securely.
It includes an answer/end button that doubles as a pause/play button and also enables you to skip tracks back and forth. It also houses a built-in noise and echo cancelling speakerphone. You can also connect multiple JBL Connect-enabled speakers together to augment the sound. This wireless speaker uses Bluetooth 4.1 technology with wireless streaming range of about 10 meters or 33 feet.
Flip 3 sounds fine and plays loud with ample bass. It also gets an additional boost to 8 watts.
- Can act as a speakerphone
- Can wirelessly link multiple Flip 3 speakers using free JBL Connect app
- Little distortion at high volumes with some tracks
- System sounds cannot be disabled
UE Roll 2:
UE ROLL 2 Atmosphere Wireless Portable Bluetooth Speaker (Waterproof)
14 used from $ 54.97
- Big, bold, beautiful sound: Sound so loud you will have to shout to be heard; 15 percent louder than the original UE ROLL
- Stretchy, attachable marine-grade bungee: Strap the speaker to your bike, backpack, kayak or wherever else you want to take your music
- Waterproof: You can submerge UE ROLL 2 in water and it'll be totally cool (Waterproof for up to 30 minutes and a depth of 1 meter)
- Lighter than a can of soda: Ultra-portable and so light you will forget you are even carrying it.
- Go farther: 100 ft. Bluetooth wireless range and 9 hr. rechargeable battery life go as long as you can (Actual wireless range and battery life will vary with use)
The UE Roll was one of the best compact Bluetooth speakers of 2015 and now it’s advanced and improved version UE Roll 2 is available. It plays about 15% louder and has a longer wireless range of up to 98 feet or 30 meters. You can also take it into the pool as it ships with a UE Floatie. This Bluetooth speaker is completely waterproof and can be submerged in water for up to 30 minutes.
It looks and weight is virtually the same as the original Roll with same bungee cord and also same battery life of around 9 hours. One of its great features is its extended wireless, which is considered as key upgrade. Its wireless connection remains hiccup-free and steady. It sounds very good and you can also pair two of them together via the UE Roll app to augment sound.
The Roll 2 is surely a better speaker than the original one and clearly one of the best mini Bluetooth speakers in the market.
- Better wireless range
- Compact waterproof Bluetooth speaker
- Includes inflatable life preserver
- No speakerphone capabilities
JBL Clip 2:
JBL Clip 2 Waterproof Portable Bluetooth Speaker (Red)
3 used from $ 39.95
- Bluetooth Wireless
- IPX7 Waterproof Rating
- Integrated 3.5mm Audio Cable
- Mic for Speakerphone Calls
- Connects with Additional Clip 2 Speaker
JBL clip speakers are among the best micro Bluetooth speakers. The new Clip 2 comes with a couple of notable changes from its predecessor. It is fully waterproof and instead of plastic clip mechanism it is equipped with a real metal carabiner. Its battery life is improved from five to eight hours. It also provides a nifty integrated audio cable that works for devices without Bluetooth. It has a built-in speakerphone that works very well.
When you put this Bluetooth speaker in water, it initially floats but eventually it will sink. It is rated to be submerged about 30 minutes in four feet of water. The speaker sounds relatively impressive and there is some bass not a lot of it. It distorts at higher volumes with certain bass heavy tracks. It does best with speech and acoustic music and is strongest in the midrange.
You can connect two Clip 2s to enhance the sound by using JBL’s Connect app. By connecting the two, you will get more voluminous sound neither better sound nor more bass. You also can’t do stereo pairing.
- Bluetooth 4.2 technology
- Built-in rechargeable lithium ion battery
- It can’t handle big bass well
- Should cost a little less
Bose SoundLink Bluetooth Speaker III:
The Bose SoundLink Bluetooth speaker III is similar in size to the previous two generations but changes in design, improves battery life and also plays louder and sounds better. If you are using it indoor, you don’t require an optional cover while if you are planning to go out and taking it to outdoor, you might need a cover. Its cover is well designed with a zipper on the side making it easier to get on and off the speaker.
Bose SoundLink Bluetooth Speaker III
17 used from $ 185.00
- Connects wirelessly to your smartphone, tablet or other Bluetooth device
- Sound performance unlike any other mobile speaker this size
- Curved edges and thin profile for easy grab-and-go portability
- Silicone button panel protects from dirt and dust; Rechargeable battery plays up to 14 hours
Pairing it with other Bluetooth devices is a smooth process and it also identifies the initially paired devices. It has some onboard buttons for muting the sound, controlling volume and switching to auxiliary input. There is no pause/play button or transport controls on the speaker and it doesn’t come with a remote, so you have to control everything from your Bluetooth device.
Like previous models, it uses an AC adapter for charging. There is Micro-USB port on the back just for future firmware upgrades. The speaker is equipped with four neodymium transducers and dual-opposing passive radiators, these combine with improved electronics and a new digital signal processing algorithm and plays louder while maintaining natural and balanced sound at higher listening levels.
- For a compact Bluetooth speaker, it sounds great
- Enhanced battery life
- Feature auxiliary input
- No speakerphone capabilities
- Require AC adapter for charging
Fluance Fi50 Two-Way High Performance Wireless Bluetooth Premium Wood Speaker System with aptX Enhanced Audio (Black Ash)
1 used from $ 149.99
- High fidelity sound quality resulting in clean, undistorted bass, a clear midrange, and transparent natural highs at any volume level.
- Wirelessly stream music instantly from your smartphone, tablet, or other Bluetooth audio device for room filling, concert-like sound; AptX enhanced audio technology ensures powerful and well defined sound throughout the listening area.
- Premium components including dual full-range 5" woven woofers, ultra high-end tweeters and a powerful 40 watt amplifier ensure Serious Performance at any volume level.
- Hand-built audiophile grade MDF wood cabinet suppresses resonance for accurate response, increased warmth and an overall more natural sound.
- Wireless auto pairing technology automatically pairs your Bluetooth device when in range; USB input for quick smartphone or tablet charging.
It is similar to the Fi30 in design and features the same medium density fiberboard cabinet. It is significantly bigger than Fi30 and doesn’t have a handle that makes it a little cumbersome to move around.
This new Fi50 has an additional LED display, larger 40 watt amplifier, an equalizer that allows you adjust bass and treble via touch controls on top of the speaker and better drivers and tweeters. The touch controls also include volume up/down buttons but no play/pause button. The LED display can be completely turned off or dimmed.
On the back of the speaker, there is an audio input for connecting non-Bluetooth devices, physical power switch and a USB input for charging tablets and smartphones. This wireless speaker uses Bluetooth 2.1 standard and also offers AptX streaming which is supposed to make Bluetooth audio sound better. It has two-way driver design with 0.6 inch soft dome tweeters that are mounted in the center of 5 inch woven fiberglass woofers. It sounds really good for a Bluetooth speaker with good detail and deep bass without distorting.
- Equipped with 40 watt amplifier
- Plays loud without distorting
- Integrated LED and touch controls
- No speakerphone capabilities
- No battery powered option
TDK Life on Record TREK Max A34 Wireless Weatherproof Speaker:
This new Trek Max A34 looks very much similar to its predecessor and costs the same but has a slightly improved sound and few new features added to it. Its additional features include NFC tap-to-pair technology, transport controls and play/pause button on the speaker. With the weight of 2.7 pounds, it isn’t really portable.
TDK Life on Record TREK Max A34 Wireless Weatherproof Speaker
4 used from $ 89.95
- Rugged weatherized design withstands the harshest conditions. Enjoy your music at the beach at the game or in the backyard.
- Rechargeable battery offers freedom to take your music with you and enjoy up 8 hours of audio on a single charge
- Play pause and skip tracks right from the speaker even without your Bluetooth device in the room
It comes with a pretty straightforward boxy design. It has got clean lines and the buttons are nicely indented and clearly labeled with LED lighting. This Bluetooth speaker is equipped with two 1.5inch drivers and a 2.5 inch subwoofer on the front and also two 3inch passive radiators on the back. It has speakerphone capabilities, it is splashproof and its ports are hidden by a removable rubber door keeping dust and moisture out.
Behind the rubber door is an audio input for non-Bluetooth devices, a power on/off switch, a USB charging port and a 12-volt DC-in charging port. It uses a separate AC adapter for charging. This Bluetooth speaker plays loud for its size, offers a reasonable amount of detail and has some nice punch to its bass. But its treble performance is not all that great.
- NFC tap-to-pair technology
- USB charging port to charge tablet or smartphone
- AC adapter is required to charge
Sony SRS-X5 Bluetooth Speaker:
From a design standpoint, Sony SRS-X5 sports the same simple and minimalist design as other SRS series models. On top of the unit, there are a few different touch sensitive buttons including volume and preset sound modes. It has a glossy finish and color options are available for the speaker grille cover. As the glossy finish attracts fingerprints, you have to wipe the speaker from time to time.
Sony SRSX5 Portable NFC Bluetooth Wireless Speaker System (Black) with Speakerphone
5 used from $ 69.99
- Powerful stereo sound with 20 watts of power
- Subwoofer with dual passive radiators for rich sound (50 Hz to 20 kHz)
- Bluetooth audio streaming with AAC and aptX support
- Convenient One-Touch Listening technology
- USB power port for charging smartphones and tablets
It other features include speakerphone functionality, NFC tap-to-pair technology for smartphones, AptX support (supposed to make Bluetooth streaming sound better), an audio input for non-Bluetooth devices and a USB charging port that charges your smartphone. It can also charge tablets but charging will be quite slow as tablets require 2.1 amps of power whereas it is rated at only 1.5 amps.
Its battery life is about eight hours. Sony SRS-X5 Bluetooth speaker plays pretty loud but it performs best at about 50-70 percent volume. When speaker is charged with AC adapter, it sounds better. You can get about 20-50% more volume; it can better handle bass-heavy material and the speaker sound full.
When you press the audio button on top, it allows you to enter a ClearAudio + mode that widen soundstage a bit. But it lacks stereo separation. On the back, it has some bass ports which help to place speaker near a wall to get some reflection. It sounds really good in a small room.
- Offers excellent sound with strong bass
- Built-in speakerphone
- A USB Charging port
- Sounds better when plugged in with AC power
- More suited for indoor use
Bluetooth speakers is a highly diverse category each one having different features, build, model and specification. Though 2016 is about to end but it’s never too late to enlist for you some of the best Bluetooth speakers of 2017 that will ease out your task of grabbing one for you.